What a week! Rain, and cold, and in amongst this, some work done. I thought that being as we were only painting half the boat, everything below the deck, it was going to be a reasonably easy week, wrong. I didn’t realise how much filling there was to do, poor Adventurer ‘s bow and stern were pretty beaten up, (she was an ex-charter boat), along with a couple of dinks down the sides I managed to use just under a kilo of filler! I didn’t open a tin of paint until the fifth day there was so much prep to do.
We had our survey last week, bearing in mind we bought this boat online without first seeing it, again, we’re all good. The surveyor was quite impressed, there’s really nothing wrong with her, a few house keeping things to do, (some water and a gas pipe are suffering from decrepitude), he said she’s a bit bruised and battered from her hire days, but all in all, tickety-boo for ten years!
We only painted her hull less than two years ago, at the time there was so much conflicting advice that I didn’t know which tips to follow and while I didn’t stuff the job up, I coulda done a whole heap better. This time around, she’s had a thick lathering of black rubbed into her bottom and anti-foul in the areas where the sun does shine to stop the weed garden that she developed over the last two years, and her propeller anti-fouled too, (because a red prop looks cool!).
Even if I do say myself, the paint job is brilliant, I’ve practised on loads of other peoples boats enough to make sure that our paintjob would be expertly done. Well almost, there are a couple of drips that I’m embarrassed about, and a masking tape malfunction in a couple of places. Also, I’m not very good at filling, she’s a bit lumpy in places, (Adventurer is over forty though), (Vanessa’s joke, not mine).
So, the next job is the top half, which unfortunately will have to be done while we’re cruising, a bit of a bugger as I wanted to view the cruise as a holiday, but there’ll be no rush, easy does it.